In Haiti

6 ladies were in Haiti for 2 weeks. We were helping and giving at orphanages and for building projects. Be a part of this and pray and/or give!!

Frades Orphanage in Haiti Aug 27 2011

Well, I had the best of intentions to write each day a bit and then we went and had a really long grueling day and I couldn’t think straight, let alone write on here! And the rest of our time here is going to be one really long day and one recoup day.  So, I may only be able to write once or twice… maybe one of the other ladies on the team will fill in when I cant :-) Hint, hint :P
So, each orphanage has so many amazing experiences that I wish I could have written about each one! I think I will try to recap the big moments for me.
The first orphanage we went to was actually such a sad experience. I was able to capture pictures of many things that I wish I had taken pictures of when I was in Guinea. Just of the situation and how difficult it really is for them . One of the things that is hardest for me to deal with is the corruption. When we were talking with the missionaries here at the orphanage we are staying at, they were telling us which orphanages you can give toys and extra food to , and which orphanages you have to bring prepared food to, and watch them eat it. The really sad truth is that some of the owners of orphanages actually take everything that is given to them for the children and sell them, so they can line their own pockets. SO, we walked in to this orphanage and the kids have no shoes and their clothes are thread-bare. They are malnourished and have disease. They actually have that far-away look from lack of nutrition and care. The minute I walked in, a little girl grabbed me around the legs and I picked her up, and she just laid on my shoulder. Whatever they didn’t eat went into the ‘fridge’ that either didn’t work or wasn’t turned on because there’s nothing to put in it. We were told that there is a whole room full of stuff for the children that the missionaries here have seen. This stuff is all sold, and not for the children.  This was so heart-breaking.
On a personal note, the strange thing I experienced was a numbness to what was going on around me. This experience was only 2 days after we arrived in Haiti (which I keep calling Guinea!) and there was so much culture shock for all of us. One of this struggles for me and culture shock is the love I have always had for the African culture, and I have to tell you, I haven't found any differences here, other than the obvious love for God and Jesus that is all over the place here. This apparent sameness was such a struggle for me, as a part of me felt like I should just be in Conakry, Guinea, and I should be WITH the people, not secured away in a lovely guest house! God really showed me my heart through all these experiences, and as I began to see my discontent with where God has me right now (not in Guinea) I had to really give my desires and wants over to Him. He has me in Haiti right NOW, and He has me in Dawson Creek for my home. Praise the Lord for the opportunity to come here with these wonderful ladies and experience all of these things with them. God has really humbled me and shown me how that I can choose to grumble and complain or I can choose to trust Him and thank Him. I am choosing trust and thankfulness! Thanks be to God for His grace and patience in teaching me a little more of who He is. And thanks to God for this amazing opportunity! I am so grateful.
Love you all and God bless you as you serve Him, each in your different corners of the world!
Christine Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment