In Haiti

6 ladies were in Haiti for 2 weeks. We were helping and giving at orphanages and for building projects. Be a part of this and pray and/or give!!

Melanie Stenhouse Testimony


When I think of both my passion for missions and my faith in Jesus I would have to say that I found both at a very young age. I had a very simple childhood that came with all the love a kid could ask for. I was the fourth of four kids. My parents were young and didn’t have much for family or financial support, so of course with that came struggle and difficulty. However my earliest memories of my parents were not of them complaining but of them relying on their faith. We had peace, our needs were met and we all understood that God was in control. My Mother prayed with me every night...yes every single night J. And as a result I gave my heart to Jesus at a very early age. I remember my mother talking to me about missionaries and about how war and famine affected the lives of children around the world. I knew even then that I wanted to help. It was not just a passing fantasy but a dream and a desire that took hold and grew with me throughout the years to come. 
My parents were great examples to me. They showed me what it means to have unconditional love and mercy for people. If somebody was hungry they were fed, If they needed a home our door was opened. My Mom would drop everything if a friend was in need, that’s just the way it was. This was the example of Christs love I was given, it was never about preaching at people, just loving them where they were at. They prayed... my parents prayed all the time, dinner, bedtime, in the car, on walks, while checking cattle, chopping wood, cooking... You get the picture. That prayer was a blanket of protection around me when I was putting myself into situations my youthful self just didn’t understand.

My Parents fostered children and this played a huge part in shaping me. I remember kids acting out in ways I didn’t understand and my Mom explaining to me “why”. I began to study people and what I noticed was that there was always a reason behind every behaviour.  As a result I developed a love for the “hard to love”. I learned to love people because they were there and not because it was an expected family duty. Then came my little sister Mikayla! Mikayla was adopted by my family at the age of seven. It is my love for that amazing kid that transformed my view of the world. I learned first hand what a difference a little love can make in a childs life. It wasn’t that we were exceptional people. In fact I was terrible in school, I battled my siblings and my parents, we were a very typical family! We just had to reach out and BE there. God did the rest.  Her life was transformed... and so was mine. Fostering also exposed me to some pretty intense situations that I didn’t know how to deal with. There was a lot of heart ache and confusion in that time. I didn’t have any Christian support outside of my home to turn to and I quickly began running from God, never feeling good enough for Him. I saw him as fearsome and far away. When I moved to Dawson Creek at the age of 18 I felt very used up and alone and began to cry out to God again . A friend of mine invited me to church and I found a new hope in Jesus. He showed Himself to me in very personal and undeniable ways.

I have always been a very stubborn and pigheaded person so some lessons were hard learning for me. For years I would compare my relationship with God with that of a toddler. Having been warned by her father not to put her hand in the fire or go near a staircase. After a few years of hard lessons and coming back burned, broken and bruised, I’m finally learning what it means to trust that my God truly knows what’s best for me. I’m learning that my God truly loves me for me, the me I am right now and not the me that I hope to be. I’ve stopped believing that God loves only the perfect. I know he will use my talents and my imperfections if I reach out in faith and follow when he calls. I’m messy and chaotic and make mistakes. God knows that and yet he calls me.

Today I am a twenty eight year old working mother of four. My husband Dean and I have four kids. My family is a little complicated but I’ll do my best to explain. Our oldest daughter Kori is seventeen, Dean and I adopted her two years ago when she lost her mother in a car accident. Kori is a walking adventure. I’m never sure what to expect from her. She is full of life and loves to challenge people. Her story is hers to tell but..what a story! My stepson Zachary is twelve. Zac and Kori had the same mother, although they miss their mom deeply they are thankful to have each other. Zac Is a very loving person who thinks deeply for his years, he is the kind of person that makes me want to be a better person. Dean and I also had a son together, Landon is now 7, he is a bright imaginative kid with a killer sense of humour and a very serious passion for music. Last but not least is our youngest daughter Elizabeth. She came to us at six weeks of age and was placed with us for adoption seven months later. Elizabeth is beautiful, and full of energy. She can be very sweet but when she gets that little twinkle in her eye look out! Her favourite pastimes include loving our dog to death and annoying her brother. She definitely makes our family life entertaining! My children have taught me....well to trust God and to rely on him. Their needs are daunting to say the least. After years of feeling like I could never be enough for my kids I’ve handed them over to Jesus. Thankfully I have watched them blossom since. Now I’m just glad to be a part of it! I’ve learned you just need to show up! God always provides.

 I work in the special education class at Mountain Christian School as a teachers assistant. I LOVE MY JOB! It wasn’t a job that I went looking for but there is no doubt that I’m in my element there. It would take me hours to tell you about all the miracles I witness daily in that classroom. I learn every single day. Just like with my own kids, I leave them in Gods hands. I show up and I trust God with the rest. Our mission field is all around us, in our families, our friendships and our jobs. The opportunity to go to Haiti and learn and hopefully make a difference is a dream come true for me. Most people understand the gravity of the situation in Haiti and I know it will stretch and challenge me as never before. I’m not sure I can make a difference, but I KNOW God can. All I have to do is show up!

No comments:

Post a Comment